2017 Mast Update: Mast tracks, masts & sails
Over recent years there has been an ongoing effort to eradicate the mast track and mast tip failures sometimes experienced by sailors; some of the possible solutions to this have created other rumours and ideas; some of which have gained traction on social media.
This document is to update everyone on what has been done to date; what is being done and what the future holds.... below is a summary but the document gives much fuller details ...
- Three specification changes will be made to the Selden Mast to improve both tip and track:
- Hoop strength to be added to the tip
- S2 track to become standard
- Upper join to be revised
- Further testing will be conducted to improve the track and tip failures:
- 9er track to be evaluated
- Mainsail with alternative batten ends to be evaluated
- CST mast to be evaluated
- A vote on a revised mainsail is to be conducted in late 2017 with an earliest possible introduction in 2019 or 20.
- Exact specification of sail on which we vote to be agreed
- Recommendation that the sail must work with the existing mast
Link to the full document >>>