remember to check your mast over!

Use this thread to share technique tips or ask questions of the experts. Also discuss boat modifications and rig tuning.
avendit

remember to check your mast over!

Postby avendit » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 am

I had long planned to replace the top half of my mast this season, but in doing so I found a couple of other problems that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed until failure early in the season, likely incurring additional costs and probably needing to use the rescue cover - something very unusual for a musto!

First spot was a soon-to-bust bit of mast track. Not a sail ender, but better sorted pre-season:
track_small.jpg

The second, and much more worrying, was the top of my shrouds where a couple of wires had given way. If I hadn't been dismounting my mast for other reasons I really doubt I would have noticed this!
shroud_sm.jpg

I admit I probably capsize more than many, and the boat lives outside all year, up in Scotland. But I would describe my usage as regular rather than heavy.

Might be worth anyone with a mid 200's or older boat checking their shrouds over carefully. Luckily I managed to score a full replacement set at a slight discount from Chris on the FB group (Thanks Chris!)

Andrew
MPS255
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick
Site Admin
So I know you are a real person not a spambot please enter the middle number from the below list (i.e. 3): 3

Re: remember to check your mast over!

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:52 pm

What would be the reasonable life of the standing rigging?

I know keelboat insurance often requires the standing rigging to be replaced on a fixed schedule ...
Rick Perkins. GBR

Return to “Coaching, Technique & Technical Area”