main halyard tensioner

Use this thread to share technique tips or ask questions of the experts. Also discuss boat modifications and rig tuning.
Daniel Henderson
So I know you are a real person not a spambot please enter the middle number from the below list (i.e. 3): 3

main halyard tensioner

Postby Daniel Henderson » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:58 pm

An issue that i have come across with the newer types of rope that are around is that they wear out the halyard cleat quite quickly. Are we able to use a halyard tensioner like the 49er's do so that the weight is held by a purchase system rather than the cleat on the mast?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GBR557

DangerBoy
So I know you are a real person not a spambot please enter the middle number from the below list (i.e. 3): 3

Re: main halyard tensioner

Postby DangerBoy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:30 pm

My cleat is 3 years old and still rock solid, it's not even the hard anodised type. I suspect if your cleat is wearing quickly your are pulling your halyard through the cleat as you hoist.

I'd have said still the bigger halyard issue was the excessive wear and breakages at the mast head.
Mark

paul manning

Postby paul manning » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Dan

Thanks for the question, I think this is a good opportunity to introduce Rob Taylor, our new class international measurer, for his thoughts :D
Paul Manning
MSCA Secretary

Phone 0044 (0)7843 269353
Fax 0044 (0)1621 785735
paulsmanning01@gmail.com
http://www.mustoskiff.com

Robtaylor

Postby Robtaylor » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Evening all,

A main halyard tensioner cannot be considered to 'tidy' the halyard as provided for in class rule C.9.8(a)(4) as it has additional functionality and does not simply keep the halyard tails tidy, furthermore it may be considered as an alternative to the cleat that is supplied (since this is taking the load and not so much the cleat) which would not comply with C.9.4(a)(1). Since the Musto Skiff class rules are closed class rules and a main halyard tensioner is not specifically permitted in the class rules, it is not permitted to have a main halyard tensioner.

Happy to answer any further questions.
Cheers,
Rob.
Rob Taylor
International Measurer
Email: Mustoskiff@internationalmeasurer.com
Phone: +44 (0)79 0150 8890

bristollad

Postby bristollad » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:23 pm

bosh have that hendo :D

Return to “Coaching, Technique & Technical Area”