STANDARD BOAT SPECIFICATION - Feedback here

Use this thread to share technique tips or ask questions of the experts. Also discuss boat modifications and rig tuning.
mm773
So I know you are a real person not a spambot please enter the middle number from the below list (i.e. 3): 3

Re: WORLDS SKIPPERS MEETING - Feedback here

Postby mm773 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Daniel Henderson wrote:All other classes just have it like GER1. .

Is this actually true?

I see it in Finns and 49ers and 29er but what other classes do?

Not Lasers, 505, Fireball, N12, Merlin, none of the RS classes ... seems a minority thing of a couple of Olympic classes.

Seems a bit showy and elitist to me ...

Rick
Site Admin
So I know you are a real person not a spambot please enter the middle number from the below list (i.e. 3): 3

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:01 pm

George354 wrote:Pole end like 49er/29er

Previously discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1704
Rick Perkins. GBR

Daniel Henderson

Postby Daniel Henderson » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 pm

What I meant was all classes that adopt the rule seem to use GER1 rather than GER001. You generally don't see it out of isaf classes as that is where is came from. Similar high performance boats / Ovington built use it such as 49er, 29ers, as well as moths Finns etc
GBR557

Daniel Henderson

Postby Daniel Henderson » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 pm

One to add to the list could be the addition of a small pocket on the kite sock like the 49er/29er has always had. Is good to put spare shackles, energy bars etc in.
GBR557

DangerBoy

Postby DangerBoy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Daniel Henderson wrote:One to add to the list could be the addition of a small pocket on the kite sock like the 49er/29er has always had. Is good to put spare shackles, energy bars etc in.

Buoyancy aid pocket Dan, extra leverage then too!
Mark

paul manning

Postby paul manning » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:42 am

Pretty sure the 29er and 49er classes do it as per top ranking in the Worlds, but the Finn class do it to raise funds for the class. They sell the number (like a personalised plate) using the numbers of old wooden boats that no longer exist. The winner of the Worlds is therefore not 001.
Paul Manning
MSCA Secretary

Phone 0044 (0)7843 269353
Fax 0044 (0)1621 785735
paulsmanning01@gmail.com
http://www.mustoskiff.com

paul manning

Postby paul manning » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:44 am

We did put a storage bag in the prototype new style spinnaker sock but it was decided that it added friction to the spinnaker hoist / drop when weight was the bag. We looked at putting it underneath but that was rejected as it became too difficult to get to compared to simply elasticating to a wing etc.
Paul Manning
MSCA Secretary

Fax 0044 (0)1621 785735
paulsmanning01@gmail.com

Daniel Henderson

Postby Daniel Henderson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:15 pm

paul manning wrote:We did put a storage bag in the prototype new style spinnaker sock but it was decided that it added friction to the spinnaker hoist / drop when weight was the bag. We looked at putting it underneath but that was rejected as it became too difficult to get to compared to simply elasticating to a wing etc.

Added friction, how did it do that?
GBR557

Rick
Site Admin

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Daniel Henderson wrote:
paul manning wrote:We did put a storage bag in the prototype new style spinnaker sock but it was decided that it added friction to the spinnaker hoist / drop when weight was the bag. We looked at putting it underneath but that was rejected as it became too difficult to get to compared to simply elasticating to a wing etc.

Added friction, how did it do that?

If you have a load of stuff in a pocket on top of the sock it closes the sock that then has to be opened as the kite is pulled in ... that was the feedback of the sailors that used it.
Rick Perkins. GBR

paul manning

Postby paul manning » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks everyone for their comments. I've forwarded on to Ovington Boats for feedback.
Paul Manning
MSCA Secretary

Fax 0044 (0)1621 785735
paulsmanning01@gmail.com

AndrewG

Postby AndrewG » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:32 am

Two improvements I'd suggest:
1) Small pulley at the bottom of the mast for mainsheet halliard would make hoisting much easier.
2) See-through panel on the kite (is this even possible?). The blind spot when sailing downwind causes a lot of collisions.

paul manning

Postby paul manning » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 am

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your very welcomed comments.

1. I'd be happy to add a block to the mast base as a request. This is already permitted as an addition?

2. Unfortunately, you can't have a see through panel in the spinnaker.
Paul Manning
MSCA Secretary

Fax 0044 (0)1621 785735
paulsmanning01@gmail.com

Rick
Site Admin

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Attached the block to the gnav lever with a twisted shackle to keep the line from falling off the side of the block.
Rick Perkins. GBR

Bruce
So I know you are a real person not a spambot please enter the middle number from the below list (i.e. 3): 5

Postby Bruce » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:41 am

I change the blocks on the wing for vang and downhaul take-up to 20mm swivel blocks. It allows you to pull the lines from out on trapeze with minimal friction (downside is that you can get rope wear marks on the non-slip on the wing, but it is a small price to pay for ease of use).
I also change the Harken Micro blocks for the 18mm versions on the vang and downhaul wherever they are not fixed to the boat. They don't end up twisting like the Micro versions can sometimes do. e.g. slack on line and then when you pull tension on it the rope comes over the side of the block rather than along the sheave. Vang seems to be the most common problem. It doesn't happen too often but when it does it is impossible to pull any tension on.
Bruce
GBR534

Rick
Site Admin

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 am

Bruce wrote: Vang seems to be the most common problem. It doesn't happen too often but when it does it is impossible to pull any tension on.

See above, or just put a twisted shackle on.
Rick Perkins. GBR

Return to “Coaching, Technique & Technical Area”